We recently had the privilege of speaking with this amazing team from Florida:
- Mandy Rowland, K-12 District Literacy Support
- Kirstie Lickliter, K-12 District Literacy Support
- Kate Ems, K-12 District Social Studies Support
1. What is your background teaching with DBQ?
St. Lucie Public Schools has been implementing DBQ for the past five years. It became abundantly clear that a resource was needed in order to enhance student understanding of informational complex text in the high schools. In order to build capacity, implementation was spiraled through the middle school grades and into high school. Learning from the positive impact of this trend, DBQ was then introduced into the elementary schools starting in grade 4. While seeing the success of DBQ in grades 4-11 for content area classes, we saw how LBQ could fit the need of the interdisciplinary connection of the Language Arts Florida Standards in the ELA classrooms.
2. What’s working in your district? Continue reading TEAM SPOTLIGHT: St. Lucie County, Florida